Sunday, March 2, 2008

Razer Diamondback Resurrection Part II

I have just gone to Jalan Pasar yesterday on my way to get electronic goods, visited a couple of shops, looking for the most suitable parts for the broken mice. Got it quiet cheap too. I got LEDs for 60cents each and the switch for 40cents. Got myself a new soldering iron too, for less then 10ringgit. Now, on with the resurrection!First off, I had to remove the main chip from the mice base plate. Need to use a tiny screwdriver and gently pry it off.
The main chip removed. Be careful of the scroll wheel! Its fragile. Beneath is the lens. It gets easily scratched.
The shell, base plate, scroll wheel and mousefeet nicely removed.
The 3g optical sensor chip.
Now, on with the soldering. Starting with the switch.

Then, I got a lil itchy finger, and start changing the LEDs, from green to orange (okok, I did promise pink, but could not manage to get one there). LED removed the same way as the switch.The long legs of the new LED were cut accordingly.
Did the same to the middle LED.
And so on....
Ta-da! Nice huh? It gets even better with the cover on.
Reattached to the base (quiet hard to get the USB wire in, need a lil force).Covers back on. Have you ever seen a orange Diamondback?
Back View

Comparison with my Logitech G5, Matching!!! Now i got 2 mice!

It looks alot better during the night, cause its a lil dimmer than the previous green LED.
The button I bought feels softer than the original one, maybe due to razer's special tactile response switch that I cant buy elsewhere. But overall, its as good as new!

No comments: