Friday, March 7, 2008

A Friend in Need

I have received a sms from my friend yesterday asking how am I doing. Once we start chatting, I noticed she was quite sad and lonely. She was working as an Indonesian Maid to my ex-boss. She signed a contract originally to work as a cleaner at my ex-boss big house. But the ex-boss bring her to work in her office as a packer as well. So she has been doing two jobs at once, as a cleaner, and a packer, without extra pay. She, without a choice, in a country which she is so helplessly in need of help. The company has a very high employee turnover because of the heavy pressure given by the boss. As a packer, she is working in the production line. Before that, there are 3 other employees working along with her, so the pressure was not so great. Now, as she single handedly doing every single job in the production line, she has to work till very late at night, sometimes, even till morning. If the job given was not done in time, the boss would beat her till bruises are visible. Last time, I was working in the sales side of the company as a temporary helper. The people at the sales side know about it, yet what we could do is just to calm her down. I am meeting my ex-gm, a very close friend of mine, to discuss of a proper solution.

It makes me feel like, life is very dynamic, even when you think that you might be in a improper situation sometimes, that makes you feel like you are the most unfortunate person on earth, yet, there are people who are in position that are a lot worse. I believe in life, we need to face the fact, though we must not brag about it, we must accept this fact, and move on to improve it, repair what is wrong, and not to cast it aside and leave it there unnoticed.

No comments: